For most of us intruders and home burglary are something we only read about in the newspaper or hear on the evening news – and then suddenly one day we suffer it ourselves!
While we know that it happens to others and that it can cause serious damages, financial, physical and psychological – most of us don’t worry about being protected beforehand. We take these risks, not imagining it could happen to us – and if it does, we pay dearly for our complacency.
There are many cost effective home security features that can be put into place to reduce the risk of being burglarized – many of which are simple enough to install yourself!
- Use wireless door and window alarm sensors
- Keep your home well-lit at night with motion detectors and lights
- Use a driveway sensor to be aware of someone entering your property night or day
- Power monitors are extremely useful if your home ever loses power – whether the power loss is a result of a storm or someone tampering with your power supply
- The use of surveillance cameras can not only provide peace of mind – but video evidence if ever needed!
- Using an intercom system is an excellent method of keeping your family out of harm’s way while answering the door
One thing to remember is that most burglars are opportunists – when they see an opportunity – they take it. With a bit more vigilance around the home and more awareness of the surroundings one could certainly make his or her home an unwelcoming for a burglar.